Popular Posts

Monday 6 January 2014

The Wolf of Wall Street


This review may contain spoilers!

I walked out of this film with a weird adrenaline rush and a ton of guilt mixed with a little moral conflict; and I loved every minute of it. The Wolf of Wall Street for me was a 9.5/10.

The one thing I think an average viewer could ever complain about for this movie is pacing, and for me that is just a complaint that cannot apply to Wolf of Wall Street at all. The music is classic Scorsese brilliance, in that his movie constantly has the right sound to back the content. His visual cinematography is just a delightfully refined trip into business and debauchery in that it looks sharp but it has some really unique, almost trippy moments. The storyline is a wonder, in that it is a well constructed journey of a man's rise to success and then his ultimate downfall in what I can only describe as the best display of this kind of story. I also learnt that the majority of dialogue scenes is adlib and if that doesn't also indicate the levels of all star acting in this film I don't know what does.

I'm not the biggest Dicaprio fan in the world but as Jordan Belfort he's brilliant; this is my favourite role I've seen him play. Jonah Hill, who played Donnie Azoff, was obviously there to be funny and he was quite simply, he just stole the show in so many scenes he was in. Margot Robbie, who played Naomi Lapaglia, is someone to be watching out for because after this role she is going to skyrocket in her acting career. Matthew McConaughey, who played Mark Hanna, remains one of my favourites despite his amount of screen time; he had small details that remained imprinted on Belfort throughout and he basically set the bar for the rest of the film. I also have to give a small mention to Kyle Chandler, who played Agent Patrick Denham, and really was ecemplary in the blackmail scene opposite Dicaprio.

The only real complaint I have in regards to this film is that the supporting cast are barely memorable after the performances of Dicaprio, Hill and Robbie. However it's not necessarily a bad thing I just wish there had been more opportunity for each character to have their limelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment